What we do
From strategy to execution, we provide management consulting and specialised engineering design to help our customers to innovate. We are a team of multi-skilled and experienced innovators who are always up for a challenge and who are learning as fast as the world is changing.
Our kind of work is not a cookie cutter, and nor should it be. We focus on finding the right development approach to deliver the right solution. Every engagement is different and we can’t articulate everything we’re capable of doing, but to give you an idea, here’s some of what you might expect from us…
Innovation always starts with investigation and the narrative.
Innovation is more than just creating new ideas. It includes identifying, developing and implementing fresh thinking, radical alliances, new routes to market and business strategies.
For us, innovation always starts with investigation. Our investigation work ranges from project to project with the intent of challenging the current state and visioning the future to collectively align the workforce and partners to generate new sources of competitive advantage.
Our work often outlines the areas and activities that will transform our customers across all time horizons, guiding investment and providing the necessary insights to respond to future technological opportunities accordingly.
Creating the golden thread to a desired future state.
Through our consulting work, Sandpit has become synonymous with developing tactical Innovation/Improvement Roadmaps to achieve a desired future state.
Our roadmaps offer a detailed assessment into current state processes based on real data and site interactions to provide recommendations for value chain improvements and reducing business risks.
The objectives of our roadmaps and plans are to define and effectively communicate:
- Case for Change – Highlight where to focus and clearly articulate why
- Governance – Coordinate and align projects across different business units
- Implementation – Be a single networked execution plan
Outlining “where to from here?” for a specific concept.
We deliver succinct assessments providing insights, observations and recommendations on ideas, problems, risks and opportunities.
An OA involves the following:
- Describe Initiative – Develop and refine the problem/opportunity statement and align with existing innovation and business strategies.
- Define Success Criteria – Setting of achievement and success criteria, with consideration of safety, cost and production, and establish business constraints.
- Strategic Postures – Connecting business strategy to potential delivery options.
- Options Analysis – Determine potential pathways connecting problems, research, risks and opportunities.
- Engagement Strategy – Identification of key enablers or precedent & dependent initiatives, with consideration of key solution risks and mitigation strategies.
- Valuation – Relative to baselines, given expected performance, clear assumptions and estimated capital investment (order of magnitude). Setting of specific targets for metrics corresponding with project milestones.
- Optional Vendor Identification – Engagement with capability focus and light-touch applications engineering thinking.
- Recommendations – Outline posture and work plan forward.
Bridging the space between a customer’s problem and a solution provider to make it stick.
We often find that customers can’t understand the needs of the vendor and the vendor can’t understand the needs of the customer. Often solutions are successfully sold by good sales people, but are not fit-for-purpose.
We provide tailored applications engineering support. The scope of our work in this space generally includes the following areas of work:
- Baseline – Develop a representative baseline for improvement. If this work is a continuation of an OA, the next level of analysis and business case are developed.
- Parameters – Determine the expected detailed performance parameters for a commercial framework.
- Valuation – Delivery of an order-of-magnitude cost/benefit/timing analysis.
- Commercial Facilitation – Provide inputs and support to facilitate commercial discussions between relevant parties.
- Implementation – Develop a comprehensive framework and implementation plan, including performance testing and optimisation.
- Stakeholder Management – Facilitate operational readiness process and transition of technology to the incumbent.
Leveraging our engineering skills to help shape ideas as a quasi-outsourced skunk works.
We use our technical capability in mechanical, electrical and process control engineering domains to further define ideas for customers, with the option of taking the concept design through to product.
Often our design work carries on from our initial assessment and consulting work to partner with customers and actualise identified opportunities.
We support our customer’s needs to build confidence in concepts. This generally starts with pre-feasibility and feasibility studies to further refine concepts through to technical design and manufacturing of prototypes. When we are involved in the actual build of any concept, we work with customers to appropriately stage their build to manage financial and physical risk. Our work ranges from small-scale several thousand dollar prototypes to full-scale multimillion dollar operational solutions.